Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas Prep

Blogging has been light these past few days due to Christmas and New Year's decorating in and around the house. The season is full of wonder. We have some long-standing seasonal traditions from my dad's family, including decorating the tree with old ornaments. I scanned a few of them for you. They first graced my family's Christmas tree in Wheeling, West Virginia about 1880 or ten years after my great-grandparents immigrated from Bavaria.


















America has been known as a throw away society for many decades. I suppose if anything runs counter to that among families it is Christmas ornaments. Five generations have used them. I'd like to think that, 130 years from now, they will still be cherished.

1 comment:

Emmy said...

These are my favorite ornaments except, of course, for Snow White's poison silver glitter apple.

ShareThis