Monday, August 14, 2023

Remembering David Crosby


David Crosby passed away in January of this year from COVID-19 and a long battle with several health issues. Over the last decade he commented ofen how fortunate he was to have lived into his seventh decade given his long history of abusive behavior. Today would have been his 82nd birthday. In a two part remembrance, first, is one of his earlier compositions about the sea and sailing. 


  

The Lee Shore


Wheel gull spin and glide
You've got no place to hide
It's 'cause you don't need one

All along the Lee Shore
Shells lie scattered in the sand
Winking up like shining eyes at me
From the sea

Here is one like sunrise
Older than you know
It's still lying there, where some careless wave
Forgot it long ago

When I awoke this morning
Dove beneath my floating home
Down below her graceful side in the turning tide
To watch the sea fish roam

And there I heard a story
From the sailors of the Sandra Marie
There's another island eight days' run away from here
And it's empty and free
From here to Venezuela

There's nothing more to see
Than a hundred thousand islands flung like jewels upon the sea
For you and me

Sunset smells of dinner
Women are calling at me to end my tales
But perhaps I'll see you the next quiet place
I furl my sails



And second, is last year's birthday post about him as a monumental figure in popular music history over the last 55 years:


The American singer, songwriter and musician, David Crosby, turns 81 years old today. He may be a social and political bad boy in the eyes of many but he remains an iconic figure in the performance and evolution of popular music beginning in the 1960s. His talents, notably his songwriting and beautiful high harmony, helped propel The Byrds, and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young to the top of the charts. Crosby is still on the circuit adding his signature sound --and rather strong it remains--after all these years. Furthermore he released his eighth studio album earlier this year. Considering the toll from years of unhealthy life choices both emotional and physical, we're fortunate to have him around for another generation of admirers. For me, Crosby ranks among the best of the singer songwriters.




Here is a sample of the poet's work performed in its golden age with Graham Nash,  Stephen Stills, and Neil Young:





Deja Vu


If I had ever been here before
I would probably know just what to do
Don't you?


If I had ever been here before
On another time around the wheel
I would probably know just how to deal
With all of you


And I feel like I've been here before
I feel like I've been here before
And you know it makes me wonder
What's going on under the ground


Do you know? Don't you wonder
What's going on down under you?


I rarely post links to long videos but here is an exception, a one hour interview with Crosby recorded in 2015 at the Aspen Institute. If you have an interest in pop music history this will be an hour well-spent with an amazingly talented and entertaining man who lived that history most of us can only talk about.




For even more music and storytelling featuring many contributions by Crosby, many of his bandmates, and other from the Laurel Canyon scene of the late 1960's watch Echo In the Canyon. It's a two-hour documentary produced in 2018 and available on Netflix.

Happy birthday, David! Sail on.






Sources

Photo:
miaminewtimes.com, photo by Django Crosby

Text:
musixmatch.com
miaminewtimes.com
wikipedia.com
davidcrosby.com


No comments:

ShareThis