Monday, November 30, 2020

St. Andrew's Day 2020



Temperatures in the low 40's, brisk northwest winds, and a low overcast make for what I imagine is a perfect St. Andrew's Day for most Scots. Thus, I was very pleased to unfurl the St. Andrew's Cross - the flag of Scotland - at our home to honor both the country and it's patron saint.






There was no feasting or dancing for me today but I did enjoy thinking of the many years my wife and I attended the Clan Robertson and Clan Donnachaidh ceilidh following the last day of the Stone Mountain Highland Games held annually in mid-October. Our gathering lasted deep into the evening and always featured a top shelf Scotch whisky tasting, plenty of dancing and singing, a few pipers pipping, harps and fiddles, and tables groaning with food, including the occasional haggis which often left a few guests groaning as well. At its height well over 100 guests attended, many of them from the farthest reaches of the Scottish diaspora.

It has been fifteen years since I last attended the games and an afterparty. Much has changed over that time as the main event approaches its fiftieth anniversary. For one, the famous tattoo that attracted pipe bands from around the world fell victim to high costs and the loss of its venue.  In addition the organization has struggled somewhat to build and sustain interest in Scottish history and ancestry among younger people who will determine its future. As for me 
I'm quite content to let the St. Andrew's banner grace the entrance to the house and dream about renewed friendships, great music, and those wonderful Scotch eggs I enjoyed on so many Sunday evenings in Stone Mountain.

Wishing you and yours a happy St. Andrew's Day!


No comments:

ShareThis