Thursday, July 9, 2020

The Chevy Vega: GM's Unforgettable Disaster Reaches 50


No, I'm not talking about the Vega's top speed. To be honest I must say that it was damn close to fifty on a slight uphill grade with the air conditioning on. Even when it ran well. What this post is all about is an anniversary, in fact, the fiftieth anniversary of the Chevrolet Vega. 





I had quite an affair with the Chevy brand into young adulthood, including a '57 Chevy Bel Air and a '68 Camaro. Both vehicles were symbols of outstanding design and engineering in their time. Today they are iconic examples of the American automobile industry that any man would love to park in his garage. 

Alas, my love affair with the brand came to an abrupt end when I bought a '71 Chevy Vega Hatchback. Under that modest, crisp design and spiffy concept rested an engineering and performance nightmare wrapped in paper-thin sheet metal. I drove the Vega 120 miles to my home in College Park and for several weeks then drove - only a few miles - to and from work in Silver Spring. No problem. As summer came on I began spending every other weekend or so at a summer cottage in eastern West Virginia. Much of the four hour drive was on interstate highways crossing several Appalachian ridges. Before summer turned to fall the Vega began to run hot and lose power. I also noticed a light blue cloud following me even on those drives to Silver Spring. In short, the high operating temperatures combined with an aluminum block engine and steel components rendered my Car of the Year into an oil burner with a warped engine. It wasn't long before a quart of oil accompanied every fill up.

The dealership was embarrassed and spent thousands to make things right while the corporate suits at General Motors wrote nice letters and chose to do nothing more. As months turned into a year and two, there was no end to breakdowns, recalls, and repairs. I wasn't alone. There were hundreds of thousands of Vega owners stiffed by General Motors.  Management killed the model, arguably one of the worst pieces of junk ever produced by the American auto industry, in 1977. 

Lucky for me, my dad retired in late 1973, freeing up one of the reliable family cars at the home place. I swapped the Vega, already showing paint damage as well as rust from road salt, for a '68 Camaro. Dad was pleased to use a small car for a few miles around town where 35 miles per hour and under was the rule. As for me, I drove the Camaro hard and fast for over four carefree years.  When it came time for another car, General Motors lost out to a Volkswagen Scirocco. 

Move ahead forty years to 2010 and we see General Motors transformed into Government Motors through billions in loans better defined as grants as the company was placed in the hands of its union and preferred stockholders were stiff-armed by a federal government on a collectivist binge.  Granted, Government Motors has improved quality after hitting a speed bump with the Chevy Cruze but we've been a family of Toyota owners for over three decades and most of us will likely remain so. One thing is a certainty. I will never own another General/Government Motors product. Ever. I doubt my children will as well. 

Happy 50th Chevy Vega. RIP. Rest in pieces. 

Sure wish I still had that Camaro!




No comments:

ShareThis