Saturday, November 30, 2019

Celebrating St. Andrew's Day


With light winds  and a high of 71 in the forecast today I was very pleased to unfurl the St. Andrew's Cross - the flag of Scotland - at our home to honor both the country and it's patron saint. 


Image result for jpeg scottish flag



There was no feasting or dancing for us today but we did enjoy reminiscing  about our many years attending the Stone Mountain Highland Games just east of Atlanta, And there was the unforgettable Clan Robertson and Clan Donnachaidh ceilidh following the last day of the games where the top shelf Scotch whisky flowed rather freely and the partying lasted deep into the evening. At its height the event attracted well over 100 guests, many of them from the farthest reaches of the Scottish diaspora.   

Membership in that clan was thanks to my wife's ancestry but that may be changing with the discovery that I actually have double her Scottish ancestry. I knew there were Celts in my past but I had no idea how dominant they were until my DNA analysis earlier this year.  Actually the big surprise from that test was the fact that I'm 10% Swedish. I'll let my son sort this out over time as he is the genealogist in the family. For now I'm quite content to let the St. Andrew's banner grace the entrance to the house and dream about renewed friendships, great music, and those wonderful Scotch eggs I enjoyed on so many Sunday evenings in Stone Mountain.





No comments:

ShareThis