Thursday, March 29, 2018

Maundy Thursday 2018


"Maundy" is an Anglo-French word derived from the Latin "mandatum," meaning "commandment." On this day Christians remember the Last Supper - likely a Passover meal - and the institution of Holy Communion, Jesus's command to his disciples to love one another as He loved them, His agony in the Garden of Gethsemane, and His betrayal by Judas Iscariot.

Detail, The Sacrament of the Last Supper                         Salvador Dali, 1953



A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. John 13:34 NIV




Stay with me, remain here with me.

Watch and pray, watch and pray.

Stay here and keep watch with me. 
Watch and pray, watch and pray!

Watch and pray not to give way to temptation.
The spirit is eager, but the flesh is weak.

My heart is nearly broken with sorrow. 
Remain here with me, stay awake and pray.

Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass me by.
Father, if this cannot pass me by without my drinking it, 
your will be done.

Stay with me, remain here with me.
Watch and pray, watch and pray.
Stay with me, remain here with me.
Watch and pray, watch and pray.





If you are interested in learning more about Dali's surreal Sacrament of the Last Supper, go here and here.




Sources

Photos and Illustrations:
Dali painting, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.


No comments:

ShareThis