Thursday, March 24, 2016

Mandatum - Maundy Thursday 2016


Our Lord Jesus Christ, on the night when he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples and said: Take, eat; this is my body, which is given for you. This do in remembrance of me. In the same way also he took the cup after supper, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them saying: Drink of it, all of you; this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for you for the forgiveness of sins. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.

Detail of Christ from Salvadore Dali's painting, The Sacrament of the Last Supper (1955)

"Mandatum" is a Latin word we translate into English as "commandment."  On this day Christians remember the Last Supper - likely a Passover meal - and the institution of Holy Communion, Jesus's command to his disciples to love one another as He has loved them, His agony in the Garden of Gethsemane, and His betrayal by Judas Iscariot.




Stay with me, remain here with me.

Watch and pray, watch and pray.

Stay here and keep watch with me. 
Watch and pray, watch and pray!

Watch and pray not to give way to temptation.
The spirit is eager, but the flesh is weak.

 My heart is nearly broken with sorrow. 
Remain here with me, stay awake and pray.

 Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass me by.
 Father, if this cannot pass me by without my drinking it, 
your will be done.

Stay with me, remain here with me.

Watch and pray, watch and pray.

Stay with me, remain here with me.

Watch and pray, watch and pray.





If you are interested in learning more about Dali's surreal Sacrament of the Last Supper, go here and here.



Sources

Photos and Illustrations:
Dali painting, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.

Text:
Opening quotation, Lutheran Worship, Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis, Missouri

No comments:

ShareThis