Wednesday, March 1, 2017

National Day Of Wales: St. David's Day 2017


Just why is a Welsh national flag flying at our front door today?

In the Christian world in the west March 1 is celebrated as St. David's Day. He was born in Wales in the 6th century, attained sainthood in the 12th century, and today is recognized as the patron saint of Wales. Dewi San (St. David) died on this day in 569 and buried in the cathedral bearing his name in Pembrokeshire. I doubt there could ever be a better day to celebrated the National Day of Wales than March 1. 



Welsh national flag design first appeared in the 15th century





German traditions may remain strong in my family, but I'm equally proud to say that I have Welsh ancestors thanks to the bloodline introduced by my grandmother's parents. They immigrated to the United States from Cardiff, Wales, in the early 1870's. Although I don't remember my grandmother - she died before my second birthday - my father always reminded me of her Celtic pride and Welsh ancestry expressed especially in a love for song and singing.










Wales is a small, ancient country located southwest of England between the Bristol Channel and the Irish Sea south of the Isle of Man. The nation has a rich cultural heritage beginning with Celtic peoples in the early Iron Age. Its isolation has left them with strong genetic identifiers as the "last of the 'true' Britons." There are only 3 million people living in Wales today. Historically, the population was never large but there was a limited diaspora beginning two centuries ago particularly with the Industrial Revolution and its need for coal. Only half of one percent of Americans claim Welsh ancestry. I'm pleased to be among them.



Sources

Photos and Illustrations:
Welsh flag, public domain image, Open Clipart Library

Text:
wales.com
wikipedia.com

1 comment:

sandinmyshoes said...

Thanks for posting John. Being a Jones identifies me as probably Welsh, and research has confirmed it.
Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!

ShareThis