Thursday, March 16, 2017

St. Patrick's Day Primer - Thursday Edition






Bring my pipe and fill its bowl,
That I may puff to sooth my soul.
For it is sure to clear my brain,
And bring old memories back again.






And from the rich tradition of Irish literature we have this glimpse:


...I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish Wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

If you know the author and book title you can have an extra pint of Guinness tomorrow.




Once again the Irish Rovers provide the music for today's post. For the last fifty years they toured the world with their ballads. In 2015-16 they performed their last world tour. The members live in both Canada and Ireland and intend to keep the Rover sound alive by attending music festivals and special events.








Sources

Photos and Illustrations:
Postcard from the author's family archives



No comments:

ShareThis