Monday, October 24, 2016

Halloween Countdown 2016 - Day 7


It's almost here!



My family archives has hundreds of postcards from Katherine. She signed all of them either "Katherine" or "K" without a surname and therefore in spite of all that mail she is the mystery woman, a perfect choice for our Halloween countdown. By the time we inventoried the large collection of postcards my grandmother's generation left behind there was no one left to identify her.  She sent the postcard shown above - postmarked October 30, 1910, Camden, New Jersey - to my great uncle, Charles. Given that this is one a many postcards she sent that Halloween and other special occasions it seems that sending several postcards to the same recipient on the same day was a popular activity. The message:

Dear Friend: Because I have not written do not think I have forgotten you. I am alive and enjoying life. Have just finished breakfast at 4:30 a.m. Kate


Sounds like she had a night on the town. That sounds about right for a friend of Charles who in his day was well-known as quite the party animal in the family. 

No comments:

ShareThis