Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Halloween Countdown 2016 - Day 5


Our family archive postcard for the day comes from the Ullman Manufacturing Company. The card is described as an American Colorgravure Post Card, Hallowe'en Series 182, Subject 2759. There is no copyright date; however, it bears a 1911 postmark. Obviously this card suffers from poor registration but, given the subject, a blurred image almost adds somewhat to the effect. 




And here is a fitting Halloween poem by Carl Sandburg. It was first published in his collection, Chicago Poems, 1916.

Theme in Yellow


I spot the hills
With yellow balls in autumn.
I light the prairie cornfields
Orange and tawny gold clusters
And I am called pumpkins.
On the last of October
When dusk is fallen
Children join hands
And circle round me
Singing ghost songs
And love to the harvest moon;
I am a jack-o’-lantern
With terrible teeth
And the children know
I am fooling.




No comments:

ShareThis