Sunday, June 19, 2016

Father's Day 2016


Best wishes to all dads on their special day. Here's a picture of my dad taken in 1917 when he was in the fourth grade.  Woodrow Wilson was in the White House. The influenza pandemic that would eventually kill 500,000 Americans by 1920 began. The U.S. declared war against Germany. Federal spending was $1.95 billion. The Mount Wilson Observatory opened in California. Georgia Tech won the NCAA football championship.



He grew up to be a lot happier than he appears here. What a difference a lifetime makes. He's been gone from this world for over thirty years. My children never knew him but I think they know him well. I've done my best to teach them who he was and honor him by carrying on his many traditions.


Sources

Text:
infoplease.com

No comments:

ShareThis