Sunday, November 29, 2015

C.S. Lewis: He Saw Everything Else


C. S. Lewis in 1947                                                                                  Arthur Strong

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
"Is Theology Poetry?" (1945)


C. S. Lewis, one of the last century's leading scholars, novelists, and Christian apologists, was born on this day in 1898. Most readers likely know his name but many may not be familiar with the depth and breadth of his literary accomplishments.  I was introduced to the author through a gift. A close friend gave me a copy of The Four Loves as medication for some perplexing developments in a relationship with the girl of my dreams at the time. Eventually, she rekindled an old relationship and moved away leaving me with a satisfying, life-long literary relationship with Lewis. I trust her decision led to an equally happy association.

For readers who want to go beyond the Wikipedia link in the first paragraph, below is C.S. Lewis Life Story With A Purposea compelling hour-long biography incorporating the author's words and many of his stories. 





From this writer's perspective, if you cannot enjoy a Lewis book you simply haven't read enough of his work.  Readers of any age and ability will surely find something of interest among his more than eighty titles of poetry, fiction, and non-fiction. Choose...and enjoy.

Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis, 1950




Sources

Text:
wikipedia.org
wikiquotes.org

No comments:

ShareThis