Friday, August 14, 2015

David Crosby at 74


The American singer, songwriter and musician, David Crosby,  turns 74 years old today. He may be a social and political bad boy in the eyes of many, but he remains an iconic figure in the performance and evolution of popular music beginning in the 1960s. His talents, notably his beautiful high harmony, helped propel The Byrds, and Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young to the top of the charts. Crosby is still on the circuit adding his signature sound --and rather strong it remains--after all these years. Considering the toll from years of unhealthy life choices both emotional and physical, we're fortunate to have him around for another generation of admirers. For me, Crosby ranks among the best of the singer songwriters.



Crosby is currently in the midst of his first solo career tour in thirty years. From all of the reviews, he's loving it and so are his audiences. Here is a sample of the poet's work performed in its golden age, first with Graham Nash, and second, with Nash, Stephen Stills, and Neil Young:





Deja Vu

If I had ever been here before
I would probably know just what to do
Don't you?

If I had ever been here before
On another time around the wheel
I would probably know just how to deal
With all of you

And I feel like I've been here before
I feel like I've been here before
And you know it makes me wonder
What's going on under the ground

Do you know? Don't you wonder
What's going on down under you?


I rarely post links to long videos but here is an exception, a one hour interview with Crosby recorded earlier this year at the Aspen Institute. If you have an interest in pop music history this will be an hour well-spent with an amazingly talented and entertaining man who lived that history most of us can only talk about.



Happy birthday, David! Sail on.


Sources

Photo:
miaminewtimes.com, photo by Django Crosby

Text:
miaminewtimes.com
wikipedia.com
davidcrosby.com

No comments:

ShareThis