Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Washington Post Marches On




We've had our disagreements over the past six decades, but I must confess to having a serious affair with The Washington Post. Haven't been on real speaking terms with the paper for the past decade or so, still, the secret admiration burns on. It's all part of my "Potomac fever." In fact, I wrote a friend yesterday about dealing with my Post Addiction Deprivation Disorder, the fear of not having the Sunday edition of the the paper rattling in my hands at breakfast. Yes, the Internet brings me the pixels; however, nothing can replace the smell and smear of the ink on my fingers.

Yesterday's purchase of the Post by Jeff Bezos ends the Graham family era of ownership and operation of a once-great newspaper. I image millions of readers would enjoy the restoration of the quality brought to the paper by the likes of Katherine Graham, Ben Bradlee, and Donald Graham. It will be interested to see how Bezos treats his new acquisition. One of the best assessments of the current environment surrounding the sale and what may be in store for The Washington Post appeared today in a National Review Online post by Michael Walsh. Not to be missed.

I wish Bezos and the Post well. As for me, the affair simply marches on.



Frankly, how can you not love a paper that has its very own John Phillip Sousa march?

No comments:

ShareThis