Monday, July 1, 2013

July: Messidor Gives Way To Thermidor


Allegory of the Month of  Messidor                           French, author unknown
The arrival of July always reminds me of the heat of mid-summer, early evening cicadas, distant lightning and blueberries. Odd as it may sound, I'm also reminded of the French Republican Calendar. Maybe it's the flare-up of the revolutionary within, but I really do like a calendar that represents the climate, weather, and everyday life surrounding me at the time. It's not so much that I dislike Julius Caesar -  Mr. July - or other representations in our current calendar, I simply enjoy elements like wind in the face, a colorful garden, and other experiences more. After all, who wouldn't like Vendemiaire? In any case, my excursion into Thermidor actually begins in mid-July. It is proceeded by Messidor, the month of harvest.

Interestingly, I think our transition into July and Thermidor has a place in the current political juggernaut aimed at the "fundamental transformation of America."  The last week or so has been a real "Thermidor" for our president. The term is derived from the time during the French Revolution when the Reign of Terror - the guillotine - was replaced with a more stable, conservative government. I think we're in the midst of that kind of shift where Americans are looking fondly on the early part of this century and apprehensively at the advent of Obamacare and its uncertainty. There is no question a malaise has set in across the left leaning political landscape. There are few rainbows these days and the unicorns are barren.  Regarding the Edward Snowden affair, the only thing Obama will be extracting on his return from Africa is the administration's reset button Vladimir Putin inserted deep in his backside.

As for future months and days, I am looking with more enthusiasm on 2014 as a positive opportunity to affect change in my county's direction. Until then, I'll be pleased to enjoy the summer heat. And the wine and the elements.

Allegory of the Month of Thermidor                                       French, author unknown





No comments:

ShareThis