Sunday, June 9, 2013

Quotes You May Know - Session One


It's that time again. After six years of retirement, I'm cleaning out the files. Again. For a liberal arts type who married an English and history major and spent a working life looking at "the big picture" that function can be quite a challenge. I must say it is a bit easier now that my wife and I have shelved any desire whatsoever to re-enter the work world, especially  the world of the federal bureaucracy.  One item I will not toss out is a lesson plan prepared long ago for interpretive writing. In it is a series of examples of techniques illustrating vivid writing that grabs a reader's attention and often embeds itself in memory. There's enough material for several challenges. I expect to present one or two of them every few days over the next month.

I rate today's challenge an easy one for modern fiction aficionados. Just name the author, the character speaking, and the work. I'd be interested in knowing how you have come to know the quote. No cheating! It's way to easy to consult the Internet for even the most obscure texts. Believe me - been there, done that.

The quote of the day is:

...I was a Flower of the mountain yes when I put the rose in my hair like the Andalusian  girls used or shall I wear a red yes and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes.

The bloom is surely not off the rose in this one.



No comments:

ShareThis