Friday, June 7, 2013

Esther Williams: Another Hollywood Great Passes Into History

One of my favorite sources for leads on the great American experience is the polymath, William Katz, who blogs at Urgent Agenda. Katz knows Hollywood and appreciates and understands its historic significance in shaping our national character. Today, he notes the passing of Esther Williams with a brief comment and link to her biography. A more lengthy source of information is here.

Katz writes that few of the Hollywood/MGM greats remain, including Mickey Rooney, Leslie Caron, and Debbie Reynolds. Williams's career peaked in the mid 1950's and I recall my mother and her sisters talking about the many films. In my generation, I imagine some of the girls took note of the lavish water musicals then. The boys were curious about the pinup shots, but they were still deep into baseball.

Williams certainly had an impact on sports, recreation and fashion as well as film.


Imagine that.

No comments:

ShareThis