Saturday, May 18, 2013

New Thoughts About An Old Airplane And New Wings Over The World

My son called me from Yemen today. His journey there was neither the best nor worst of trips, but was a bit of a challenge given a series of weird layovers. His assignment is fresh and I am left with few questions other than asking about his trip. After some years of this routine, we talk about hotels, cabs and restaurants, but mostly we talk about the airplanes. There will be more news later. I would be much happier having him living in Prague. For one thing, my wife and I would have a place to stay while we visited a new world.

Today's conversation brought to mind a much earlier post about our mutual admiration for heavier-than-air, controlled, powered flight presented in its finest engineered aesthetic, the Boeing 307 Stratoliner:

Airplanes have fascinated me almost from birth. If you read my Fall Tradition entry in October, you know I had the good fortune to spend my childhood summer vacations and frequent weekends next to a small airport. I'm happy to report that the apple really doesn't fall far from the tree. Unexpectedly last week, my son called me from the National Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy Center at Dulles Airport during his company's Christmas party. He said he was standing next to a gleaming gem of an aircraft from the 1930s. He thought I would like to hear about it. The aircraft was the Boeing 307 Stratoliner, Pan American Clipper Flying Cloud, the only surviving example of the world's first pressurized commercial airliner.



Indeed, the 307 is a beauty. Thanks to photographer, Kaszeta, and Wikipedia Commons, we can enjoy this shot of the glittering Clipper in her exhibit mode. The aircraft went into service in 1940. Built on a B-17 airframe, only ten commercial aircraft came off the line before World War II ended production.

My son had no way of knowing that I knew this aircraft, inspected her in numerous walk arounds, visited the cockpit, and had a lengthy tour of every inch of her stunning art deco interior. It was 2003, and I was in Oshkosh at the Experimental Aircraft Association's AirVenture, the world's largest fly-in. I visited Pan Am Clipper Flying Cloud every day for a week. When I watched her lift off the runway to begin her final trip to Dulles Airport, it felt like a summer love had come to an end.

When I realized which aircraft had my son's attention, I got a big lump in my throat, maybe even teared-up a bit. It was for two reasons. First, he shares his father's appreciation for the flying machine. Second, he has a rare eye for the engineered aesthetic. There are scores of aircraft - unique, record-breaking, historic - in that center and he called me about the one I knew well and admired, perhaps loved. There was a time when I would have analyzed a call like that at great length. These days, I smile and let the moment embrace me. Good apples!


In my humble opinion, the Super Constellation is the only aircraft to give the 307 some competition in the world of commercial aviation. My son has suggested I need to look harder these days. Seems some airlines are restoring luxury to the skies, especially in the Middle East and the Pacific. What goes around comes around.

The bulk of this post was first published in October 2008.

No comments:

ShareThis