Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Politics Of Fat

Like millions of other Americans, I've been fighting a war with my weight. The big battle started with marriage and children, when time became precious and running - in the park and on the beach, no less - became a low priority. My knees didn't take kindly to all those years of pounding exercise, so these days the workout is confined to my stationary recumbent bicycle, and landscape and garden maintenance. Another option presented itself last week when my sister-in-law won a national award from the American Volkssport Association. Imagine happily wandering one's way to health and you have the picture. Options for doing so in most Atlanta suburbs are limited, but we'll try. My personal role in the nation's war on fat begins with my first step.

And based on personal observations, there should be plenty of people taking the first step. That is a significant change from twenty years ago when obesity was more the exception than the rule. If you're interested in this problem, its cost to all taxpayers, and honest proposals to solve it, read this article from today's Opinion Journal. There will be no safe quick fix to this issue until we have a few more breakthroughs in genetic research. For now, we're left with solving it the old-fashioned way. That reminds me it's time for my bike workout, followed by a calorie conscious snack.

No comments:

ShareThis