Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Wannabee Tribe

In my career, I knew and worked with a wide range of American Indians, especially in the Southwest and South. Nothing was more revolting to me and my colleagues than working with impostors. We did have a place for them. We called it the Wannabee tribe, as in "I wanna be an Indian." I was quite pleased to hear earlier today a Denver District Court judge denied Ward Churchill, today's foremost Wannabee member, reinstatement at the University of Colorado. The university argued that he was removed as a result of plagiarism, not for his disturbing comment that the World Trade Center victims were "little Eichmanns." I will be the first in line to defend free speech; however, I know intellectual detritus when I see it. The university, liberal though it may be, deserves better. Let us hope that this Wannabee accepts his judgement without reservation.

No comments:

ShareThis