Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Under Fire in Afghanistan

"Don't worry . . . We're armored and heavily armed when we go out."

My son assured me that his NATO keepers took good care of their civilian employees. He was right. Yesterday, he emailed this picture showing how a Taliban sympathizer tested the bullet-resistant glass on their SUV.

The first installment of his Afghanistan experience is still in draft on my computer. I asked him to report primarily on people, daily life and the culture at large, and balance it with the military presence. What could fulfill that request better than the picture of a solitary vendor patiently waiting for customers at his colorful stand as seen through a bullet-marred window? My wishes for a deep depth of field on Afghanistan have been put into a very proper perspective.

No comments:

ShareThis