Thursday, April 9, 2009

Maundy Thursday













Mandatum novem do vobis ut diligatis invicem sicut dilexi vos.
(A new commandment I give unto you. That ye love one another as I have loved you.)

Today is the fifth day of Holy Week, commemorating Jesus Christ's washing of his disciples' feet, the institution of Holy Communion, His agony in the Garden of Gethsemane, and Judas Iscariot's betrayal of Christ.

From John 13:1-15 CEV:

It was before Passover, and Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and return to the Father. He had always loved his followers in this world and he loved them to the very end.

Even before the evening meal started, the devil had made Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, decide to betray Jesus.

Jesus knew that he had come from God and would go back to God. He also knew that the Father had given him complete power. So during the meal Jesus got up, removed his outer gaarment and wrapped a towel around his waist. He put some water into a large bowl. Then he began washing his disciples' feet and drying them with the towel he was wearing.

But when he came to Simon Peter, that disciple asked, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"
Jesus answered, "You don't really know what I'm doing, but later you will understand."
"You will never wash my feet!" Peter replied.
"If I don't wash you," Jesus told him, "you really don't belong to me."
Peter said, "Lord, don't wash just my feet. Wash my hands and my head."
Jesus answered, "People who have bathed and are clean all over need to wash just their feet. And you, my disciples, are clean except for one of you."
Jesus knew who would betray him. That is why he said, "except for one of you."

After Jesus had washed his disciples' feet and had put his outer garment back on, he sat down again. Then he said:

Do you understand what I have done? You call me your teacher and Lord, and you should because that is who I am. And if your Lord and teacher has washed your feet, you should do the same for each other. I have set the example, and you should do for each other exactly what I have done for you.

No comments:

ShareThis