Monday, March 23, 2009

Leave Your Troubles Outside

Given the performance of the Obama administration over the last 60 days or so, I'm a bit worried about my exposure in the markets this week. Many of us have watched our retirement accounts cut in half over the last six months. I spent 20 years building mine. The chronic frustration wears one out after a while. In anticipation of what tomorrow may bring, I bring you instead a diversion based on an economic meltdown in the last century. The setting is Berlin and the Weimar Republic. The year is 1931. Take it all in, listen carefully, digest it and remember that we have been partying for a long time.



Cabaret (1972) is a historically significant film and one of my favorites. The opening scene you have just watched is one half of a bookend and one of the best in the history of film. That said, you have to watch the entire film to understand why. I trust your curiosity will drive you to add it to your Netflix queue or rush to the nearest library.

No comments:

ShareThis