Sunday, March 15, 2009

"Don't know much about a science book"

Sam Cooke wrote and recorded Wonderful World sometime in the late '50s, but a half century of education apparently still leaves most Americans in the dark about basic science facts, according to a recent Harris poll. Little Green Footballs has the story here along with links to a Carl Sagan interview and the science survey itself. If one doesn't have the basics, one cannot argue the complexities. That's why I place absolutely no faith in the opinion polls about the science flash points of the day, including abortion and global climate change.

My friends, I'm sorry to be hammering away on the science issue lately. It has appeared across my reading spectrum this week and I can't ignore the subject because it is so vital to our nation's future. If I hadn't been so lousy in math, my career would have ended up in the hard sciences. Yes, I was a proto-nerd. My high school teachers, Miss Hood (chemistry) and Mr. Howard (physics) taught me well. Enough on this, it's time for more caffeine.

No comments:

ShareThis