Monday, February 23, 2009

Starbucks Reaches for Instant Coffee

Starbucks has been a part of my life over the years, usually when I was on per diem or happened to find their bean coffee at Bell's, my favorite discount grocery store near Covington. Times are tough at Starbucks these days, so tough that they have ventured into the forbidden territory of instant coffee. Well, there goes the image. Ben Domenech provides the sad details here in his post at The New Ledger.

To be perfectly frank, I won't be upset as Starbucks attempts reinvention. I think they built an industry selling over-roasted coffee as a quality experience. Don't get me wrong, friends. I can enjoy almost any coffee with wi-fi and overstuffed chairs. Given the choice, though, I can brew with the best of them right here at home and for mere pennies a cup. All this makes me think that Kieron Dwyer's parody, left, does provide the last word. Indeed.

No comments:

ShareThis