Thursday, February 12, 2009

Blossom Dearie

The world of American music lost a rare talent on Saturday with the passing of singer, lyricist and pianist, Blossom Dearie. With her tiny voice, perfect diction, sophisticated song selections, and touch of humor, she entertained jazz and cabaret fans for almost fifty years. Had she not valued her privacy so much, I'm certain she would have been far better known and appreciated. Read more about her at the link above, and check out this recording from the '60s.



I'm Old Fashioned (1942), with music by Jerome Kern and lyrics by Johnny Mercer, has long been in the Great American Songbook. Blossom only adds to the class. I chose this song because she had joined Mercer's circle of close friends by the early '60s, and supplied the music for his last lyric, My New Celebrity is You, probably in early 1975. Celebrity really captures the best qualities of both artists. Sorry I couldn't post it for you to enjoy.

No comments:

ShareThis