Friday, January 30, 2009

Volcano Watch

In 2000, I was fortunate to have spent two weeks in and around Anchorage, Alaska. For most of the trip, I stayed at the Hotel Captain Cook where my window overlooked the Cook Inlet. A hundred miles to the southwest, Mount Redoubt often rose dimly out of the haze. Redoubt is an active volcano with a history of explosive eruptions, the last one occurring about thirty years ago. Seismologists are telling us that another eruption will occur at any hour.


















Here's a U.S. Geological Survey photo of the 1989 event.

If you're an earth sciences nut like me or just curious, stay alert for news. All the web cam sites appear to be overwhelmed with traffic. If I can find one that works, I'll post a link for your convenience.

No comments:

ShareThis